SOCIAL MEDIA: Effective Internet Writing - Facebook Hits a Trillion Views
Recent Gauteng Business News
- Get in the Ring Johannesburg City Finals 2016 to Be Hosted at the Small Business Expo
- PoPI Also Requires Protection Of Information About Companies
- Futuristic Cities That Will Take Africa's Tourism Industry By Storm
- Imperial Transforms Dumpsite to ‘green Logistics’ Landmark
- Stainless women get skills enhancement
Internet writing is the key to your company’s online success. Google reported that Facebook hit a trillion page views this month.
The trick to writing effective web copy is to ensure that your readers know exactly what your website, and every webpage, will do for them. You do this by clearly stating your objective with one subject per page. You should have one idea per paragraph. You should have no more than three ideas on a page.
'Make sure you say what you need to say in as few words as possible,' says Amanda Patterson, author of The Plain Language Programme.
Why Internet Writing is Different
Writing for the web is different to writing for print media. When you write for a paper publication you have a captive audience. Mostly, these readers have invested in your words. They have paid for the paper and ink. They take you more seriously. They will take more time to read what you say.
Web readers are fickle. Only 14% of your readers will actually read a newsletter they've subscribed to. Only 5% will read the entire thing. Imagine what you're up against on the Internet.
You need to provide useful information. Web users want to find facts. Your job as a writer is to ensure that web users spend less time reading. The only way to do this is to put in more time writing.
'There are simple ways to increase credibility, increase readability and format for effect,' says Patterson. 'Once your writers understand this, your web copy will work for your company.'
Nine Internet Writing Formatting Secrets
1. Be consistent.
2. Use short lines.
3. Use headings.
4. Don't overuse italics and emphasis font options.
5. Never use all capital letters.
6. Don’t use too much colour.
7. Don’t use complicated backgrounds.
8. Don’t use unnecessary images.
9. Use one image per web page
This should be taken seriously as this could make a huge difference to your company as you develop your internet writing.
Business News Sector Tags: Media|